- CATHARTIC DRUGS
- GASTROINTESTINAL DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Suppositories
- Composition : Bisacodyl 5 mg/ Supp
- Active Substance : Bisacodyl
Bisacodyl is stimulant laxative . It exerts its action along pipe colic, it increases the testinal
motility, and its secretion to water, electrolytes and proteins .
Laxamid is used for the symptomatic treatment of constipation and the preparation to
radiographic examination, colon and rectum endoscopy .
Contraindications : * Acute abdominal pain . * rectal bleeding
* Appendicitis . * Gastroenteritis . * Intestinal obstruction .
Use before one hour of drinking milk or anti acid drugs .
* As all laxative prolonged use should be avoided .
* Discontinue the treatment in cases of diarrhea or abdominal pains .
* Laxamid should be avoided during pregnancy and lactation .
Side Effects : * Bisacodyl may cause abdominal discomfort in form of colic .
* The use of Laxamid suppositories may result to rectum irritation, and repeated use may
cause proctitis or sloughing of the epithelium .
* Prolonged use or overdosage can cause diarrhea with excessive loss of water and electrolytes
Dosage & Administration :
* Children 6 – 12 years : one tablet ( 5 mg ) daily .
* Adults and children over 12 years : two tablets ( 10 mg ) daily .
* Children under 12 years : one supp. ( 5 mg ) daily .
* Adults and children over 12 years : one supp ( 10 mg ) daily .
– Note : – It is taken in a single dose once daily .
– Expect results in 6 – 12 hours if taken at bedtime or within 6 hours if taken before breakfast .
Storage Conditions: store in a dry place below 25o C
Tablets 20 enteric coated tablets / Box .
Supp. Children : 10 Supp. / Box .
Supp. Adults : 10 Supp. / Box .