- NON-OPIOID ANALGESICS AND ANTIPYRETICS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Suppositories
- Composition : Paracetamol 125 mg + Salicylamide 175 mg+ Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg/Supp
- Active Substance : Paracetamol + Salicylamide + Diphenhydramine HCl
* Paracetamol : has analgesic and antipyretic properties . It is given by mouth or as rectal Suppository for mild to moderate pain and for pyrexia .
* Salicylamide : Has analgesic and antipyretic and antiinflammatory properties .
* Diphenhydramine HCL : An ethanolamine derivative with the actions and uses of the histamine H1 – receptor antagonists . It is used for the symptomatic relief of hypersenstivity reactions including urtucaria and angioedema, rhinitis, and conjunctivitis, and in pruritic skin disorders .
* Caffeine : is a methylaxanthine that can increase mental alertness .
Symptomatic treatment for all condition associated with pain and fever. It is also used in common cold, seasonal and allergic rhinitis, and upper respiratory tract infections in addition to antibiotics it analgesic and antiinflammatory properties makes it a good choice for headaches, toothaches, arthralgia, myalgia, and traumatic pain . Caffeine citrate in Medax tablets ameliorate the sedative action of diphenhydramine HCL and in producing mental alertness makes it the optimum choice for pain releving during daytime .
Side effects :
In rare cases, there may be pruritus and dermal rash , urine retention , xerostomia , visual disturbance and palpitation .
Drug interactions :
this drug should not be taken with other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory compounds as it increases the risk of bleeding and peptic ulcer , or with MAO inhibitors or triyclic antidepressant .
Medax may cause somnolence in some patients, so driving may be dangerous in these patients . it should be given carefully in cases of glaucoma , prostatomegaly , urine retention ,Petic ulcer , asthma hepatic and renal insufficiency .
It should be used with caution during pregnancy as physician prescription .
It musn’ t be used in case of hypersensitivity to this drug or to any of its components or to Aspirin or in case of hemorrhage .
It should not be taken during the three first months of pregnancy and in nursing period .
Dosage & Usage :
As Doctor’s prescription or :
Infants : ( under 2 years ) : 1 Medax infant suppository 1-3 times daily as necessary .
Children : ( 2-12 years ) : 1 Medax children suppository 1-3 times daily as necessary .
Adults : ( 12 years and older ) : 1 Medax adult suppository 3-4 times daily or 1-4 tablets daily as necessary .
Suppositories : Box containing 8 suppositories for infants, children, or adults .