- OTHER OPHTHALMOLOGICAL DRUGS
- OPHTHALMOLOGICAL DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Eye Drops
- Composition : Cromolyn Sodium 40 mg/ 1 ml
- Active Substance : Cromolyn Sodium
In vitro and in vivo animal studies have shown that Cromolyn Sodium inhibits the degranulation of sensitized mast cells which occurs after exposure to specific antigens which inhibit the release of histamine .
For the treatment of limited ocular infections such as :
* Vernal keratoconjunctivitis .
* Giant papilary conjunctivitis .
* Vernal keratitis .
* Vernal conjunctivitis .
Symptomatic response to therapy ( decreases itching, tearing, redness, and secretion ) is usually evident within a few days but longer treatment for up to six weeks is sometimes required .
* Ophtasense 40 is contraindicated in those patients who have shown hypersensitivity to Cromolyn Sodium.
* Patients are advised not to wear soft contact lenses during treatment with Ophtasense 40
Side effects :
* As result to the prolonged use of Ophtasense 40, it may occur transient ocular stinging or burning .
* In some patients rarely may report, pruritus, dryness around the eye, inflation, eye irritation, stye .
Pregnancy effects :
adverse fetal effects ( increased resorption and decrease fetal weight ) were Note at the very high doses .
Nursing mothers effects :
Caution should be exercised when Ophtasense 40 is administered to the Nursing mother
Pediatric effect :
Children below the age of 4 years have not been established .
Dosage & Administration :
Adults & children above the age of 4 years is : (1-2) drops of Ophtasense 40 (4-6) times daily at regular intervals .
That the effects of Ophtasense 40 therapy is dependent upon its administr- ation at regular intervals .
Note : once opened the drops must not be used for longer than one month .
Bottle 5 – 10 ml.