- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY AGENTS
- ANTI-INFECTIVE AGENTS
- OPHTHALMOLOGICAL DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Eye Ointments
- Composition : Prednisolone Sod. Phos. 2.5 mg + Sulphacetamide Sod. 100 mg/ 1 g
- Active Substance : Prednisolone Sod. Phos.+ Sulphacetamide Sod
Clinical Pharmacology :
* Corticosteroids suppress the inflammatory response to a variety of agents, and they probably delay or slow healing . Since corticosteroids may inhibit the body’s defense mechanism against infection,
a concomitant anti-microbial drug may be used when this inhibition is considered to be clinically significant in a particular case .
* Sulfacetamide sodium is active in-vitro against susceptible strains of the following microorganisms : Escherichia coli, Staphylococus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Streptococcus ( viridans group ), Haemophilus influenzae, Klebsiella species, and entrobacter species
Indications & Usage :
Prednicid is indicated for steroid – responsive inflammatory ocularconditions for which a corticosteroid is indicated and where superficial bacterial ocular infection or a risk of bacterial ocular infection exists Ocular steroids are indicated in inflammatory conditions of the palpebral and bulbar conjunctiva, cornea, and anterior segment of the globe where the inherent risk of steroid use in certain infectiveconjunctivitis is accepted to obtain a diminution in edema and inflamation .
They are also indicated in chronic anterior uveitis and corneal injuryfrom chemicals, radiations, or thermal burns or penetration of foreign bodies .
– it should be used with caution in the presence of glaucoma .
– Prolonged use may result in ocular hybertension , so advice should be Routinely monitored .
– It should be used during pregnancy only as necessary , and don ‘t use in Nursing mother .
– Most viral diseases of the cornea and conjunctiva including sequela Keratitis , and also in infection with mycobacteriaceae and fungal diseases of ocular structures .
– Known or suspected hypersensitivity to any of the ingredients of this preparation, to other
sulfonamides or to other corticosteroids .
Side Effects :
– Allergic sensitization in susceptable individuals . – Local irritation .
– Secondary infection : Particularly after prolonged use .
– Ocular Hypertension.
Dosage & Administration :
Prednicid ophthalmic drop or ointment are used 3 – 5 times daily .
Note : once opened the drops must not be used for longer than one month .
Storage Conditions :
Store up to 25° C .
Packing : Prednicid ophthalmic ointment : Tube of 5g