- RESPIRATORY TRACT DRUGS
- Pharmaceutical Form : Syrup
- Composition : Guaifenesin 100 mg+ Codeine phosphate 10 mg+ Pseudoephedrine 30 mg / 5 ml
- Active Substance : Guaifenesin+Codeine phosphate + Pseudoephedrine
The clinical pharmacology of this product is thought to be due to the action of its ingredients,Codeine
Phosphate, Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride and Guaifenesin.
Codeine phosphate causes suppression of the cough reflex by a direct effect on the cough center in the
medulla and appears to exert a drying effect on respiratory tract mucosa and to increase viscosity of
Pseudoephedrine acts directly on alpha-adrenergic receptors in the respiratory tract mucosa producing
Guaifenesin , by increasing respiratory tract fluid, reduces the viscosity of Tenacious secretions and acts as an expectorant .
Thymopectol is indicated for symptomatic relief when both coughing and congestion are associated with
upper respiratory infections and related conditions such as the common cold, bronchitis , influenza, and
Contraindications : hypersensitivity to any of the product’s ingredients.
* This medication should be used with caution in the presence of the following :
Cardiovascular disease ,Diabetes mellitus ,Hypertension , Prostatic hypertrophy Addison’s disease ,Chronic ulcerative colitis , Functional impairment of the liver or kidney .
Patients taking Thymopectol should be cautioned when driving or doing jobs requiring alertness.
* Do not exceed recommended dosage because at higher doses nervousness , dizziness ,sleeplessness may occur .
* Should be given to pregnant women only where clearly needed .
* Caution should be exercised when this medication is prescribed for a nursing mother .
* It is cortraindicated in children less than 6 years of age .
* Therapy duration should not exceed 5 days .
Drug Interactions :
* Beta adrenergic blockers : concurrent use may increase the pressor effect of pseudoephedrine
* Digitalis glycosides: concurrent use may increase the possibility cardiac arrhythmias.
* Antihypertensive agents:hypotensive effects may be decreased by the concurrent use .
* ( MAO) inhibitors may potentiate the pressor effect of pseudoephedrine.
* Sympathomimetics used concurrently may increase the effect of these agents or of pseudoephedrine .
* The concurrent use of tricyclic antidepressants may antagonize the effects of pseudoephedrine and may increase the effects either of the antidepressants themselves or of the codeine component.
*( CNS depressants , Alcohol , General anesthetics , Anticholinergics ) should be used under consulting
Adverse Reactions :
Nervousness, restlessness, drowsiness ,difficult or painful urination , dizziness or Light headedness
,headache, nausea or vomiting, constipation, weakness.
Dosage and Administration :
Adults and children 12 years of age and older : 2 teaspoonfuls( 5 ml ) every 6 hours
( not to exceed 8 teaspoonfuls in day) .
Children 6 -12 years : as physician direction .
It is cortraindicated in children less than 6 years of age .
Therapy duration should not exceed 5 days .
Storage condition :
Keep in a dry place under 30C .
Bottle 100 m